This guide will help you find out how to stop Discord from opening on startup. You can do this by changing some settings inside the Discord app or directly from the Windows settings. So if you are looking for the answers on how to stop Discord from opening automatically on startup? Follow this guide properly.
But before we jump on to find out the answer, let’s first find out what Discord is, and its autostart problem.
What is Discord?
Discord is free audio, video, and text chat service used by tens of millions of individuals aged 13 and above to communicate and socialize with their friends and communities.
Discord was created for the gaming community, but it is now widely utilized as a platform for various sorts of groups. Servers are Discord communities where users talk about and interact on a single topic. Members, topics, regulations, and channels are unique to each server. Discord may appear to be comparable to the Slack chat program at first glance. But, especially for gamers, it has more to offer in terms of functionality.
How to stop Discord from Opening Automatically on startup on Windows? (2022)
Discord is an awesome cross-platform app available on almost all major platforms like PC, Mac, iPhone, and Android. One of the frequent problems users face after installing Discord on their PCs is that it starts automatically on boot. This auto-start affects the boot time of the computer and slows it down.
You can disable Discord from auto-starting by tinkering with a few settings within the Discord App. Or by using the Windows Task Manager to prevent it from starting up during Windows startup.
To prevent Discord from automatically activating, you can follow one of the two methods mentioned below:
Method 1: Use Discord Internal Settings to Disable Discord on Startup
Here are the simple steps to disable Discord on startup using the internal settings inside the Discord App for Windows.
1. On your Windows PC, launch the Discord application. If you can’t find the Discord app on your desktop, you can look for it in the App list inside the Start menu.
2. Inside the Discord app, open “User Settings” by clicking on the gear icon next to your user avatar at the bottom.
3. Head over to the “APP SETTINGS” section on the left panel of user settings, and choose “Windows Settings” from there.
4. To stop Discord from launching during Windows startup, turn off the “Open Discord” option under the “System Startup Behaviour” section on the right panel.
And that’s how you disable the Discord app from starting up during Windows startup.
Method 2: Disable Discord on Startup from the Windows Settings app
Another way to disable Discord during Windows startup is from the Windows settings. With Windows 10 (and Windows 11), you can manage your App startup directly from the Settings app.
Here is how to disable Discord from autostarting up with Windows from Settings App:
1. Open the Settings app on your Windows PC. You can also open the Settings app quickly using the shortcut “Win + I.”
2. Now navigate to “App” settings and click on “Startup.”
3. Inside “Startup,” you will find apps that will start automatically when you sign in to Windows. Look for the app that says “Discord” or have its logo and then toggle it off.
Now restart your PC to check if you have successfully disabled Discord on startup or not.
Method 3: Use the Windows Task Manager to Disable Discord on Startup
Disabling Discord from Windows Settings will most likely stop it from auto-starting with Windows. But in case, it is still getting started with Windows affecting the boot time. You can use Windows Task Manager to disable Discord permanently from starting up automatically. Here is how to do it.
1. Open the Task Manager using the shortcut “Ctrl + Shift + Esc.” You can also search for Task Manager from simple Windows search.
2. Inside Task Manager, open the “Startup” tab.
3. Here you will see every app you can enable/disable for starting up Windows. Find the Discord app from the list, right-click on it and choose “Disable” from the menu.
And there, you have successfully disabled the Discord app from opening up on Windows startup.
Stop Discord from opening automatically on startup on Mac OS? (2022)
To stop Discord from auto-starting on the Mac OS, use the following method on your Mac computer.
1. Open System Preferences on Mac
The first step to disable Discord from opening on startup is to open system preferences on mac. You can do this by clicking on the Apple icon on the top left side of the mac OS.
2. Click on Users and Groups Inside System Preferences
Inside the System preferences option, select the “Users and Groups” option.
3. Select the User and Disable Discord By hitting Minus
Choose the current user from the left-hand side. And now you will be able to see Discord under the heading “These items will automatically open when you log in.” Select Discord from the list and now hit the “Minus” button on the bottom side of the box.
Now you have removed Discord from opening up on startup inside Mac settings.
Stop Discord From Opening on Startup: Conclusion
So this is the method to stop Discord from opening on startup. We have included all the ways you can successfully disable Discord from opening on startup. These methods can be used on windows and mac operating systems to disable Discord. I hope you liked our guide. If you liked this guide, visit our Home page at www.mrnoob.net and follow us on Instagram @mrnoobnetwork. I hope to see you in another article like this. Thanks for reading.