If you are bugged by the infamous ‘Female for English‘ notification on your Android device, then you should hold your horses as it isn’t the only annoying notification that is going you bug you once in a while. ‘Downloading English‘ is another annoying notification, related to the Google Search app.
Since the Google search app is now supporting more & more languages, Google provides regular updates to its default language packs to provide better speech recognition. Due to the frequent update cycle, Google keeps this to be downloaded on WiFi so that it won’t affect users with a limited data plan. But in case, you wanted to permanently disable this ‘Downloading English‘ notification to save your data, you have an option to do that inside Google search settings.
All Android devices with Google Search/Assistant have this option, but here I am using a Xiaomi device running MIUI 9. If you are using a phone other than Xiaomi, then also you’ll find Google settings, inside the Settings app
Steps to remove the ‘Downloading English’ notification permanently:
1. Open the ‘Settings‘ app on your device, go to ‘Google‘ & inside Google Settings, scroll down & open ‘Search‘. This will let you inside the Google Search/Google Assistant settings.
2. Inside ‘Google Search‘ settings head over to the ‘Voice‘ option. Here you’ll see options related to languages & speech that the Google app uses by default.
3. Tap on ‘Offline speech recognition‘, you’ll now see all your installed language packs for the Google search app in the ‘INSTALLED‘ Tab, alongside the other two tabs. If any language is showing download pending then download it & open the ‘AUTO-UPDATE‘ tab & select ‘Do not auto-update languages‘. After turning off Auto-updates, the Google app will not show any notification for updating the language pack. Besides, if you are still getting that ‘Downloading English‘ notification then proceed to the next step.
4. Go-to home screen & open the ‘Installed Apps‘ section inside the ‘Settings‘ app. Inside which search for the ‘Downloads‘ app.
5. Open the ‘Downloads‘ app & hit on the ‘Clear Data‘ icon at the option. Now you’ll see a popup for confirmation, press ‘OK‘ to confirm clearing data of the download app. This will remove all data from the download app, which includes ongoing downloads, a download list of previously downloaded items & the app’s default settings. Do make sure to finish pending downloads, else they will get removed from the download list.
6. Finally, reboot your device. (Optional)
After following all steps carefully & turning off the auto download, you will no longer receive this kind of notification.
In case of any query, use the comment box down below.
Thank you. 🙂