Most cameras shoot photos in a rectangular aspect ratio. While some apps like Instagram require you to post photos in squares to fit their feed size, changing your photo to a square aspect ratio is necessary. One way to do that is by cropping it using any photo editing tool or app, which will also crop/trim some parts of the image, losing its details. In this case, it is necessary to make your photo square without cropping it so you can post the whole image without losing details.
The best way to make a photo square without cropping is by making that picture fit into a square canvas without changing its dimensions. Doing so will leave blank spaces on both sides of the photo without cropping the actual image. This article will show you how to make a rectangle photo into a square without cropping.
Make Photos Square without Cropping online!
There are various online tools and services that you can use to make photos square without cropping. But I recommend using Kapwing – Online Photo Editor for its straightforward interface. You can use it to crop both photos and videos. Here is how to do it.
- Click here to open Kapwing Studio Editor in your browser’s window and select “1:1” option under “Start with a blank canvas” to create a blank square canvas.
- Now select on the “Upload” option and select the photo that you want to turn into a square. Or simply, drag and drop the photo on the upload screen.
- Kapwing Studio Editor will automatically fit your photo inside the square canvas. You can edit it further from the Edit Pane or add Effects like Drop Shadow to enhance it further.
- Once done, select the “Export” button, and hit “Export as JPEG“.
- Now simply, right click on the image (or long-press if you are on a smartphone) and hit “Save image as” to save it on your device.
And this is how you can easily make photos square without cropping online. (And guess what? it also works with Videos.)
However, you will have to deal with the “Kapwing” logo watermark on your square, which you can easily remove by painting over with white color inside any photo editor.
Make Photos Square without Cropping online without Watermark!
Unless you want to go through all of that, we have another tool Photopea – Online Photo Editor for making rectangular photos square without any watermark. This is a much-advanced online photo editing and manipulating tool with capabilities similar to Adobe Photoshop. You can also change background of the squared photos using it. However, you can’t make videos square using PhotoPea.
Let’s see how you can use Photopea to make photos square.
- Open Photopea inside your browser’s windows and select “New Project.”
- Inside “New Project” window, select “Instagram” and hit “Create” to create a blank white square canvas.
- Now drag-n-drop the photo that you want to turn into square inside the canvas. Alternatively, go to File > Open & Place… and select the photo from the Open Window into the canvas.
- Once your photo is inside the canvas, go to File > Export As and select “JPG” from the list.
- A save for web windows will pop up, give your photo a name, pull the Quality slider all the way to 100% and then hit “Save” to save it on your computer.
And there you have successfully converted your photo into square without cropping. You can now upload your squared photo on the platform of your choice. Note that, Photopea will not work on videos, for that you’ll have to settle with Kapwing and their watermark.
Make Photos Square without Cropping on Android and iOS!
Both of the above mentioned online tools work best on a desktop computer. But if you need a reliable solution for making photos square on your Android or iPhone, I’d suggest you install Square Fit Photo and Video Editor on iPhone and Square Pic: No Crop Video on Android for the task. Both the apps are available for free with ads on their respective app store.
Make Photos Square without crop on iPhone/iOS.
- Install Square Fit Photo Video Editor from App store on your iPhone or iPad and open it.
- On the app screen, tap on “New” and select “Photos.”
- Your iPhone’s gallery will pop up, choose the photo that you want to want in square. The app will automatically adjust your selected photo inside of a square canvas. If it didn’t, tap on Canvas > 1:1 to change canvas to a square.
- You can further change the white background style and colors using the “Preset” and “Color” options from the bottom bar.
- Once you are satisfied with the results, hit “Save” to save the picture inside your iPhone’s gallery.
Make Photos Square without crop on an Android.
- Install Square Pic: No Crop Video from Google Play Store on your Android and open it.
- On the app screen, tap on the “Gallery” icon and select your default gallery from the list. Or choose from the recent photos on the app screen.
- Now choose the photos that you want to convert to square without cropping. The app will automatically adjust your selected photo inside of a square.
- You can further change the background style and color using the “Background” option from the bottom bar. It also let you choose a different picture as a background for your photo.
- Once you are done, hit “Save” to save that picture inside your Android phone’s gallery.
Wrapping up: Make Photos Square without Cropping!
And that’s how you can make your photos square without cropping so you can post them on platforms like Instagram. Using Kapwing- Photo Editor is one of the easy ways to do it, but it leaves you with a watermark in the free version. You will need to edit it once more to make it Instagram-ready. On the other hand, Photopea is a full-blown photo editing and manipulation tool that requires a few extra steps but gives you a squared photo without any watermark.
And installing the apps is the best bet for making photos square for smartphone users. I hope this article solves your issues and helps you create a square photo without cropping.