Everyone is finding ways to enable dark mode on Snapchat on Android and iOS devices, we have a guide on how to do it. But before we jump on the how-to, let’s have a look at why dark mode is so popular.
The dark mode is the new cool. All the major app developers have now adopted this change, allowing users to switch from Light mode to Dark mode within their apps. Last year, Snapchat also jumped into this bandwagon, giving its users an option to enable Dark Mode on the Snapchat app.
Currently, this feature is only available on Snapchat for iOS, where the app officially supports the dark mode. But on Android, Snapchat is still pulling its strings and yet to release dark mode in the app. However, we are sharing a workaround, which possibly adds a dark mode on the Snapchat app on Android. But its success rate is still in the Dark.
How to enable Dark Mode in Snapchat on iOS and Android?
Enable Dark Mode on Snapchat on iOS!
Snapchat supports Dark Mode natively on iOS. Hence, enabling dark mode on the Snapchat app on an iPhone is very easy. You have to tinker around with app appearance setting to make your Snapchat app dark on an Apple smartphone.
Here is how to enable Dark Mode in Snapchat in iOS/iPhone:
- Open Snapchat App on your iPhone.
- Inside the app, tap on the “Bitmoji” icon on the top-left of the screen.
- Now tap on the “Settings” icon on the top-right of your profile page to access app settings.
- Scroll down on the Snapchat settings page, and look for “App Appearance.”
- Inside App Appearance, select “Always Dark” to enable Dark Mode on your Snapchat app.
Selecting “Always Dark” will enable Dark Mode on Snapchat regardless of your iOS default appearance setting. You can also choose “Match System” if you have enabled systemwide Dark Mode on your iPhone.
And that’s how you enable Dark Mode in Snapchat on an iPhone. Now let’s see how to do the same on an Android smartphone.
Enable Dark Mode on Snapchat on Android in 2022!
While enabling Dark Mode on the Snapchat app for iOS is very straightforward. Snapchat app on Android is yet to support Dark mode natively. However, there is a workaround that you can use to force dark mode on the Snapchat app on your Android phone.
This workaround may or may not work, depending on the Android version and Android Skin you are using. But it is worth a try until Snapchat brings Dark Mode on their Android app and saves you from blinding lights every time you open the app.
Note: This workaround Seems to work on Android 10 and above, since with Android 10, Google brought systemwide dark mode. We will be using it to turn the Snapchat app Dark on Android.
Here is how to enable force Dark mode in the Snapchat app for Android.
- Firstly, you must enable the system-wide Dark Mode theme on your Android phone. Regardless of the smartphone brand, you can find the option inside “Settings >> Display” to enable the Dark mode theme on Android.
- After enabling Systemwide Dark Mode, you will have to enable “forced system-wide dark mode” inside the Developer Options. To access Developer Options, go to Settings >> About and then tap on the “Build Number” 7 times until you see a toast notification that says, “You are now a Developer!.”
- Now go back, and tap on “Developer Options.” You will find this option at the bottom of the Settings page.
- Inside “Developer Option,” find the toggle that says, “Override force-dark,” and enable it.
When you enable the “Override force-dark” option, it forces all Android apps without native dark mode support to follow a dark theme color palette.
Now open the Snapchat app on your Android Smartphone and see if it enables dark mode instead of the default bright white background. If otherwise, you’ll have to wait until Snapchat officially brings Dark mode on their Android app.
FAQ: Dark Mode on Snapchat!
How to get Dark Mode on Snapchat in 2022 without app appearance?
Suppose you are running an older version of iOS (iOS 12 or below). In that case, Snapchat on iOS might not show the app appearance option within the app. In that case, you can’t do anything.
Wrapping up: Enable Dark Mode on Snapchat easily!
Seems like Snapchat is always late to the party with offering basic features in their app. Recently, they started allowing users to change Snapchat username, while other social media apps have similar features for a while.
While enabling dark mode on Snapchat on iOS is straightforward, you just need to flip a switch inside the app settings. On the contrary, Snapchat is yet to offer this feature on their Android app, which is quite surprising, seeing the popularity of this texting and photo-sharing app on the platform. We hope to see Snapchat adding official dark mode support on their Android soon.