Having a second monitor on your desk can definitely boost your productivity and helps you multitask better. If you have ever worked on a dual monitor setup, you know how productive and efficient a second monitor can be. But what if you don’t have the luxury, space, or extra money to buy one? In that case, you can use your Android device as a second monitor and get your work done.
So, if you have a spare phone or tablet lying in your drawer and want a dual-screen setup of your own, here is how you can do it.
How to use Android Device as a Second Monitor?
Plenty of third-party apps on the Google Play Store can help you use your Android device as a secondary display for your Windows PC.
But the one that stands out the most is “Spacedesk.” Using Spacedesk, you can transform any Android phone or tablet into a touch-based second monitor for your Windows computer. And the best part is it’s free and available for Android and iOS, which means you also use your iPhone/iPad as a second monitor for your Windows PC.
For this to work, you’ll need a Windows PC running Windows 8.1, Windows 10, or Windows 11 and a stable Wi-Fi connection on both your PC and tablet. And if you don’t have a stable Wi-Fi connection, we have also explained how to use your Android as a secondary display over USB.
Use your Android Tablet as secondary screen wirelessly.
Let’s see how to use your Android device as a second monitor wirelessly using Spacedesk.
- First, download and install “Spacedesk Driver for Windows” on your PC. Make sure you download the correct installation file based on your Windows OS and type.
- After installing the driver, open the “Spacedesk Driver Console” from the Windows start menu.
- Now on your phone or tablet, install the “Spacedesk” app from the Google Play Store, and open it.
- If both devices are on the same network, you’ll see your PC/laptop connection listed inside the Spacedesk viewer app on your phone or tablet.
- Tap on it, and after a few seconds, you will see your PC screen mirrored onto your Android phone/tablet.
That’s it. You have successfully set up your Android device as a second monitor using Spacedesk.
If you can’t see your PC connection on the Spacedesk app on your phone, you might have to add it manually.
To initiate a manual connection, first, find your computer’s IP address inside the “spacedesk Driver Console” under “Adapter interfaces.” It should look something like 192.168.XX.XXX.
After that, tap on the “+” icon on the Spacedesk app on your phone/tablet, and enter the IP address of your PC.
And finally, press “Add” to manually add your PC inside the spacedesk app and use your tablet as a second monitor.
Use your Android Tablet a second monitor via USB
Connecting your phone as a wireless display is feasible only when your devices are connected to a strong and stable Wi-Fi network. While in an ideal scenario, you might need a better Wi-Fi connection, or a connection for that matter.
If that’s not all, and you are on public Wi-Fi, it’s not wise to set up a wireless connection for privacy reasons.
In that case, you can use your Android as a second monitor over a USB connection. Here is how to do it using Spacedesk.
- First, ensure you have installed “Spacedesk Driver for Windows” on your PC and “Spacedesk” app on your Android tablet.
- After that, connect your Android device to your Windows PC via USB and allow “File transfer” access when prompted.
- Now head over to Android settings, search for “USB Tethering,” and enable it. Enabling USB tethering is a mandatory step. If your Android doesn’t have this option, you can’t connect your device via USB.
- After this, open the “Spacedesk Driver Console” on your PC.
- Now on your Android device, open the Spacedesk app, and tap on the connection you see in the connection list to turn it into a second monitor.
And voila, you are now using your Android device as a secondary screen for your Windows PC. Connecting your tablet via USB gives you a more stable and fast connection, but on the downside, you can’t move around it.
Also Read: How to Screen Record on Windows with Audio?
Wrapping up — Use your Phone or Tablet as a secondary screen on Windows.
If buying a second monitor is out of your budget, then using an Android phone or tablet as a second monitor is the best thing you can do. It is not only budget-friendly but also very practical and productive. Also, it is very portable, so that you can take it anywhere.
If you have a tablet lying around and want to use it as an additional monitor, you use the app mentioned in the article. With Spacedesk, you can use any android/iPhone/iPad as a secondary monitor to your Windows laptop or PC for Free.