Have you ever imagined how cool it would be, if you can unlock your windows PC with the fingerprint scanner on your Android phone? It surely does feel like some sci-fi movie trick. And what if I tell you that you can already do that, all thanks to our wonderful developer Andrew-X at XDA. He has managed to remotely wake up and unlock Windows computer with a single fingerprint tap. With his app Remote Fingerprint Unlock & a windows module to communicate with PC, you can wake up & unlock windows PC with Android’s fingerprint scanner.
Today we are going to show, how you can set up this Remote Fingerprint unlock to unlock your Windows PC with Android’s finger print scanner.
HOW TO UNLOCK WINDOWS PC WITH ANDROID’S FINGERPRINT SCANNER?
HARDWARE & SOFTWARE REQUIREMENTS:
- A Windows PC (Vista, 7, 8 & 10)
- 32 bit or 64 bit system
- Android Marshmallow or above (Android 6.0+)
HOW TO SETUP REMOTE FINGERPRINT UNLOCK?
- First of all download & Install the windows module on your Windows PC. Make sure to go through everything properly during the setup & allow incoming and outgoing traffic on your firewall. (Download 32 bit installer for 32-bit systems & 64 bit for 64-bit systems)
DOWNLOAD WINDOWS FINGERPRINT MODULE FROM HERE
- Now download & install the Remote Fingerprint Unlock app from Google Play store. This is available for free on Play Store, with an in-app purchase to disable ads & enable some additional features like widget support etc.,
DOWNLOAD REMOTE FINGERPRINT UNLOCK APP FROM HERE
- Once you are done with the installation, make sure your windows PC & smartphone are on same WiFi network. Now open the Remote Fingerprint Unlock app & ‘Scan‘ to find your windows PC. (Your PC should be on lock screen. Press Win+L to lock your windows PC)
- Now all you need to do is select your computer from the scan list & ‘Save‘ it with desired name. After saving, you are required to add login credentials of the account you want to login every time you tap on fingerprint sensor.
- Tap on ‘Add Account‘ & add its username with the password & hit ‘Save‘. (Here I am using my attached Microsoft account’s detail to login)
- Now the app will ask you to confirm the Session ID, before saving your account information. Confirm it with the session ID on the computer’s lock screen & proceed to save your credentials.
- Now you are ready to use your Android’s fingerprint scanner to unlock your PC. Simply go to the ‘Unlock‘ menu inside the app & put your fingertip on the fingerprint sensor of your device to unlock your Windows PC.
- Free version of Remote Fingerprint Unlock app has ads, is limited to one PC/Account & requires you to open app every time to unlock your Windows PC. If you purchase the pro version ($1.99 as in-app purchase) you can get rid of ads, plus you can also add multiple computers/accounts & a home screen widget to quickly unlock your PC using your Android’s fingerprint scanner.
- This app is fully secured & doesn’t save anything sent between phone & computers. And you can use it on public network as all sent data is encrypted.
- If you are adding multiple accounts inside same computer, then make sure you choose the default account. Otherwise, it will show unlock error.
- You need to keep track on updates for Windows Module manually. Bookmark this link: WINDOWS FINGERPRINT UNLOCK MODULE
As of now, this app seems to work really fine. Developer has promised to add Linux support, locking the PC functionality & more, in the future updates. We hope to see positive development, since the way this apps works is really promising.
If you have any issue setting up the app, let us know via a comment.