Most of us are still following the old way of taking screenshots on a windows PS/laptop, which is bit lengthy & requires too must task. Generally, we use PrtSc key to grab a copy of what’s on our desktop as clipboard & then paste it to any image editing program to save it as an image file. But this isn’t the only way to take screenshot on windows machine. There are other ways in which you can take a screenshot on Windows PC/Laptop. And here I am summing up all the ways by which you can take screenshots on Window OS.
Various ways of taking Screenshot on Windows OS :
METHOD 1 –
(For taking screenshot of full desktop)
- Press PrtSc button on your Keyboard, this will capture a snapshot of what’s on your screen/desktop & save it to clipboard. (In some keyboards, you might need to press Fn + PrtSc to access the PrtSc button)
- Now open Paint or any image editing program, hit Ctrl +V to paste the snapshot of your desktop in that program. You can now crop, edit or simply save it as it is, in the format of your choice.
(For taking screenshot of a program window)
- Press Alt + PrtSc button on your Keyboard, this will capture a snapshot of the program window you are trying to screenshot & save it to clipboard.
- Now open Paint or any image editing program, hit Ctrl +V to paste the snapshot of program window that you’ve captured. You can now crop, edit & save it in the format of your choice.
(For taking screenshot of a selected area) *Windows 10 creators update or later
- Press Win + Shift + S on your keyboard, this will change the mouse cursor to a cross-hair [+].
- Now move the cursor/cross-hair around while pressing left mouse button & select the area you want to screenshot. Once selected, lift the mouse button, this will save the selected areas in clipboard.
- Now open Paint or any image editing program, hit Ctrl +V to paste the snapshot of program window that you’ve captured. You can now crop it further, edit & save it in the format of your choice.
NOTE: If you don’t want to save the screenshot as an image, then you can simply press Ctrl + V anywhere & paste that screenshot directly without any edits. This is useful, when you want to take screenshot of something which you don’t want to save in your computer. You can use this screenshot as long as you don’t copy something else after taking the screenshot.
METHOD 2 –
- Pressing Win + PrtSc on your keyboard, will take a screenshot of whatever you have on your desktop & save it as an image file. (Typically in *.png format)
- You can navigate to “C:\Users\*username*\Pictures\Screenshots” to find all your screenshots taken by this method.
METHOD 3 – *Using Windows 10 Game Bar*
Game Bar is introduced with Windows 10 as in-built tool to capture, record or broadcast your gaming sessions on Windows. We can also use this tool to capture screenshot on windows 10. You can upload your screenshots taken from Game bar on Microsoft OneDrive directly.
- Press Win + G on any screen on windows 10, it will open a Game Bar with lot of options. You have to press the camera icon to capture the current screen. (or simply use Win + Alt + PrtSc to take screenshot directly on Game Bar)
- After successful capture, it will show a notification on Windows Action Center.Click on that notification to open Xbox app, where it will show all screenshot using GameBar. Here you can either rename, delete or upload the screenshots on OneDrive. Alternatively, You can fine all your screenshots by navigating to “C:\Users\*username*\Videos\Captures“
METHOD 4 – *Using Snipping tool*
Snipping tool in Windows is a handy tool that you can use to take screenshots in variety of ways. With this tool, you can not only take screenshot, but you can also edit it before saving it as an image. Snipping tool also provides option to email your screenshot directly from the program window.
- Search for Snipping Tool in Windows Search Bar & open it.
- You will now see a small program window, with lots of screenshot modes. By default it’s set to ‘Rectangular Snip‘, shuffle between modes & set it as per your use.
- After choosing desired mode, tap on ‘New‘, this will change the mouse cursor into a cross-hair [+]. Simply select the area that you want as your screenshot.
- After selection, the selected area will open in the snipping tool program windows with some editing options. In this window, you have an option to edit or simply save it as an image file on your computer.
These are 3 different methods of taking screenshot on Windows machine without using any 3rd party software. You can simply use these shortcuts to take screenshots effortlessly & increase your productivity on a windows machine.
If you have any issues taking screenshots via the mentioned methods, do reach us out via comment section
Have a good day.