While there are plenty of things, you can do to customize your brand new AirPods. The first thing you should do is change your AirPods’ name. Renaming your AirPods name not only gives them a unique personality. But it also makes them easier to find in your Bluetooth menu.
During initial setup, your AirPods get assigned a default “(Your Name)’s AirPods” alias, or just “AirPods” when you pair them with non-Apple devices. Thankfully, you can easily change the default name of your AirPod and make then easily identifiable.
Do note that this works with all the generations of AirPods; AirPod 1st Gen, AirPods 2nd Gen, AirPods Pro, AirPods Max, and even the latest AirPods 3rd gen. And in most cases, you will have to connect your AirPod with your device first before changing its name.
Here is how to change your AirPods name on any device.
Change your AirPods name on iPhone and iPad?
Whether you are using your AirPods with your iPhone or iPad, you can follow the steps mentioned below to rename them:
- Head over to the Settings app on your iPhone/iPad and open Bluetooth Settings.
- Under the “My Devices” section, tap on the (i) button next to your AirPods to access its settings. As you can see, my AirPods are already connected with my iPhone; otherwise, it will not give me an option to change its name.
- Inside your AirPods settings, tap on the current AirPods name.
- On the next screen, type a new name, and at last tap on “Done” to save this new name.
- And there, you have successfully changed the name of your AirPods.
Change your AirPods name on Mac or MacBook?
Most people use AirPods with their MacBook as well. To rename your AirPods name on Mac or MacBook, follow the steps mentioned below;
- First of all, click on the Apple icon on the menu bar and open “System Preferences…” from there.
- Inside the “System Preference” window, click on “Bluetooth.” (You can also access Bluetooth preferences settings directly by clicking on your mac’s menu bar.)
- Now look for your AirPods under Devices inside the Bluetooth preference menu, and right-click on it. Then click on “Rename” from the right-click menu.
- Type your desired name inside the text field, and then hit “Rename” to save changes.
- Voila, your AirPods will now get recognized with their new name inside the Bluetooth menu.
Rename your AirPods on Android.
Gladly, AirPods doesn’t just work with Apple devices. You can use them on Android as well. But when you pair it with an Android for the first time, they are recognized just as “AirPods.” Regardless of that, you can still change AirPods’ name on your Android device. Here is how to do that;
- Head over to the Settings app and open Bluetooth Settings on your Android smartphone or tablet. (You can quickly access Bluetooth settings by pressing and holding the Bluetooth quick settings tile from the notification shade)
- Now tap on the (>) next to your AirPods under the list of paired Bluetooth devices.
- Inside your AirPods device settings, tap on “Rename.”
- Now give it a new fancy name, and tap on “Ok” to save it.
- Congratulations, your AirPods just got a new name.
On the downside, this name change on an Android device isn’t permanent. If you pair your AirPods with a new device, it will get recognized with its original name. Thankfully, you can change it back to your desired name following the abovementioned steps.
Rename your AirPod name on Windows.
Like Android, you can connect and use AirPods with your Windows PC/Laptop. And you can also change its name, but you’ll need to perform some extra steps for it.
In case you want to change its name, here is how you can change the AirPods name of your Windows laptop;
- On Windows, open Control Panel from the Start menu and then look for “Devices and Printers.” (In Category view, this option should be under “Hardware and Sound“.)
- Inside “Device and Printers,” look for your AirPods and double click on them to open their properties. (or right-click on its icon, then select “Properties“)
- Head over to the “Bluetooth” tab, and change its name to your desired one.
- Click on “Okay” to save changes.
- Now disconnect your AirPods from the Bluetooth setting, and reconnect again with your Windows Laptop to see the name change inside your Bluetooth settings.
Similar to changing the name on Android, changing AirPods’ name on Windows is limited to the device itself. If you try to pair them with a new device, it will show the original name only, and you’ll have to change it again.
Also read: How to get AirPods animation on Windows?
Wrapping up: How to rename your AirPods easily?
Whether you are using your AirPod with an iPhone/iPad, Mac, Android, or even Windows, you can rename your AirPods. This guide will help you change the default name of your AirPods to something that matches your persona.
However, keep in mind that you can only change your AirPods name permanently using an iPhone/iPad or Mac. To permanently change the name of your AirPods, you’ll have to pair it once to an Apple device and change its name on it. After that, you can pair it again with your Android or Windows device to see the new name in effect.