Bots are an integral part of a Discord server. And if you are trying to build a community on Discord, Bots can help you by automating many tasks. Think of Bots as a friendly AI that you can use to manage and enhance your server. You can add a bot for free on your Discord server and give that bot commands to perform its tasks. Want to welcome new members automatically, moderate your server or even play music on your server; there is a bot for everything.
Enough of bots appreciation, now let’s see how you can add bots to your discord server? But before that, do note that you can only add bots to your server or on a server where you have ‘Manage Server‘ permissions. Don’t worry; we will also cover how you can get Manage Server permissions on a discord server.
How to add bots to your Discord server on Desktop?
Step 1: Find or Search bots on your Discord server.
Discord support bots, but they don’t offer any official marketplace where you can search bots for your server. You’ll need to look up online and search for your desired bot to add to your discord. But there are plenty of unofficial websites which curate such discord bots from various sources. I use Bots on Discord for finding bots for all of my Discord servers since it lets you add bots directly without leaving the website.
Be it a moderation bot or a music bot, these websites have a massive collection of Discord bots to choose from. You can use the search option to find bots that suit your need or go through their collection and choose from the popular bots listed there.
Once you have found all the bots you want to add to your discord server, let us move to the next step, where we will check if you have the proper permissions on Discord that lets you manage bots on that server. And if you don’t have those permissions, we’ll see how you can obtain permissions to manage servers and add bots.
Step 2: Check Discord server permissions
First of all, you can add bots only if you have ‘Administrator‘ or ‘Manage Server‘ permission on your Discord server. If you are the creator of the server, you’ll get administrator right by default. In that case, you will be able to add a bot to the server without any problem.
However, if you are not sure whether you have the required permissions to add a bot to Discord, follow this.
- Open your Discord Client and log in with your credentials.
- Now head over to the server where you want to add a bot and then click on the server’s name on the top. You can find the server list on the right of the Discord app/client.
- A list menu will pop up. Inside that menu, see if you can find ‘Server Settings‘. If you see ‘Server Settings‘, you are likely to have permission to add bots on that server.
- You can also double-check to see your exact permissions. Click on ‘Server Settings‘, then ‘Roles‘, and click on the role you have been assigned to on that Discord server. There you’ll see three tabs, click on the ‘Permissions‘ tab and see if you have ‘Administrator‘ or ‘Manage Server‘ permission.
If either of these exists, you are ready to add a bot on that server. Also, if you do not have the permissions to add bots, you can ask someone with higher permissions to add that bot on that server.
Step 3: Adding bot to your Discord server
Well, once you have all the permissions, you can easily add bots to your Discord server. For this guide, I will be adding Rythm, a popular music Discord bot, on one of my servers. But before moving ahead, make sure you are logged in to your Discord account on your web browser. Now that you logged in to your Discord account, let us see how to add a bot to your Discord server.
- Open Bots on Discord website inside your browser, then find the bot using the search function and click on the ‘Add to Server‘ button.
- In the next window, you have to select the server where you want to add the bot. Select your server from the drop-down menu and then click on the ‘Continue‘ button.
- You’ll now see all the permissions that the bot will require on your server. If you are okay with all those permissions, click on ‘Authorize‘ to finally add that bot to your server.
- Now that bot should be on your Discord server. You can confirm that by looking for the bot on the member’s list on the right sidebar of your server. And since it is a bot, you’ll also see a bot tag along with its name.
Congratulations, you have successfully added a bot to your Discord server. Following this, you can more such bots to your server and enhance the functionality of your server.
FAQ: Everything about adding bot on a Discord server!
Can I add bots on Discord server on Mobile app?
You can add bots on your Discord server from your mobile as well. The whole process is similar to adding bots to Discord on a desktop. However, since Discord doesn’t work on a mobile browser, you’ll have to use the Discord app on your Android and iOS phone to set up a bot further.
Just makes sure you are logged into Discord on your default mobile browser and have all the required permissions on that server before adding bot. Doing this will makes the whole process easy. Once you are done with all the permission, follow the guide below for adding bots on your Discord server.
- Open Bots on Discord on your mobile browser and find the bots you want to add to your Discord server.
- On the bot card, click on the ‘Add to Server‘ button.
- Now you’ll have to select your Discord server where you want to invite this bot. Select that from the list and tap on ‘Continue‘.
- On the next screen, you just have to tap on the ‘Authorize‘ button and the bot will be added to your server.
- After that, you have to assign roles to that bot for easy organization of bots on your server. Now open the Discord app on your mobile phone, navigate to your server and click on the three-dot menu beside your server name on the top.
- Now tap on the ‘Gear‘ icon to open your server’s settings.
- Inside settings, head over to ‘Roles‘ under ‘User Management‘ and tap on the ‘+‘ button to add a new role. Name that role ‘Bots‘, then give it a color, and finally give that role requires permissions. Once you are all set, tap on the ‘save‘ button to save this new role.
- Now go back twice, tap on ‘Members‘ to access your member’s list, and add all your bot to the newly created bot role. Congratulations, you have successfully added a bot on your Discord server on mobile.
Is it safe to add bot to my Discord server?
Yes, it is safe to add bots to your Discord server. However, add bots only from legit sources. Or if you really concern, you can go with open source bots for discord. You can find these open-source bots on Github.
How to give bot a role?
It is a good practice to give bots a separate role to control what permission these bots will have on your server. Not just that, it is also good for organization purposes on your Discord server.
If you still haven’t created a separate role for bots on your server, you can do that from the server settings.
- Click on the name of your server on the top and then click on ‘Server Settings‘.
- Now head over to ‘Role‘ and click on the ‘Create Role‘ button.
- Give that role a name. Since we are creating a role for the bot, let us name it ‘Bots‘. You can also give the role a color to distinguish it from other members.
- After that, check if this role has all the required permission for bots to work effectively. And don’t forget to revoke, ‘Administrator‘ permissions from the bot role.
- We will now add all our bots to this role. Go to the ‘Manage Members‘ tab and then click on the ‘Add Members‘ button. Select all your bots from the members’ list and then click on the ‘Add‘ button to add bots to this role.
- Once you are done, just press the ‘ESC‘ key on your keyboard, and you are done.
Now all your bots are organized under that same role. Just don’t forget to give the same role to every bot you add to your Discord server.
Also read: How to delete a Discord server permanently?
Wrapping up: How to add and set up a bot on Discord?
So this is our guide on how to add bots to your Discord server. If you are new to Discord and want to grow your community, these bots can really help you. However, when it comes to setup up these bots, I’ll advise you to go through the documentation of each bot, then test its feature on your Discord server. Since every bot is different, there will be a learning curve before you can best out every bot’s function.
What kind of bots will you add to your Discord server? Do let us know in the comment section below.